With time, various types of concrete are available in the market. With different choices come different purposes for using concrete material. Now concrete is not only used for making roads, but it is also used to make structures for buildings. The construction industry is highly recommending concrete material with different additives and admixtures for different purposes.
Bisley International Raw Materials supplier is a privately owned company with their HO in Sydney Australia. Their high understanding of the market has brought Bisley Groups and other world’s best raw material producers in North America, on one platform. The business was established in Houston, Texas, 65 years ago and with years of experience, they’re distributing quality raw material throughout Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Oceania. Their broad range of products that consists of agrichemicals, construction and building materials, ceramics and refractories, welding, foundry, steel, water treatment, plastics and aluminium.
What are Additive and Admixture?
The structure of concrete depends upon the mixture of additives and admixtures. Often people misunderstand the concept of additive and admixture –
- Concrete additive is a substance that isn’t basic raw material, but exceeds 5% of the cement mass in the concrete. These are generally sand or aggregate.
- An admixture in concrete is a material which is added during the mixing process. This mixture shouldn’t be more than 5% of cement content which modifies the fresh or hardened concrete’s property.
Type of Admixtures
Admixtures can be organic or inorganic but they should be multi-functional. Admixtures are used according to their functions. For example, if it is water-reducing admixture then it is good for roads and floor concrete.
We have discussed some of the functions below –
- Water reducing admixtures are plasticizers that reduce the water amount in concrete by 2%-5%. With the use of this substance, the concrete becomes stronger and the plastic usually phosphates or polycyclic derivatives which are good for road and floor concrete or ready mixed concrete.
- High range water reducing admixtures are super-plasticizers that reduce water by 12%-40%. For example, polymer admixture is mixed with concrete material, to reduce the porosity of concrete thereby increasing its strength and durability which is good for the production of sprayed concrete, and self-compacting concrete.
- Air entraining admixture enables mixing air bubbles in the concrete mass and distributing it evenly to make it frost resistant and less absorbent with decreasing strength. This admixture is used for bridge and hydro-technical concrete.
- Anti-washout admixtures prevent loss of water by improving its retention, which increases the durability and cohesion of concrete. This kind of admixture is important for construction placed on the water surface, paving stones and concrete flooring.
- Retarding admixtures are metals like oxide, sugar, or phosphate that sow down the binding process of cement to keep the concrete in fluid form for a long time. This admixture is used when the mixture is being transferred from a long distance so that the concrete setting rate is slower and can last for several hours.
- Damp proofing admixture blocks the capillary pores which make the concrete watertight. This makes the concrete water-resistant, aggressive to chemical agents, anti-frost, and durable. It is good for concrete that is exposed to unfavourable climatic conditions.
Various factors decide the type of admixture to be used in a structure. Technology and economy play a vital role in selecting it. Admixtures and additives are in extreme demand in the construction industry. Its versatile property has made it quite popular in the architect industry.